Credentials Count
Being a good consumer is especially important when you are choosing the person who has the training, experience and qualifications to help you. When making the initial telephone contact, don't be reluctant to inquire about the therapist's experience in treating your particular issues.

What kind of help is there
There are many different professionals who can help: Marriage and Family Therapists, Psychologists, Psychiatrists, Medical Doctors, Clergy. All have been trained in offering appropriate help. The training that each one has had will be different, so their areas of specialty will vary.

How do I choose which professional is right for me?
Try to match your specific need to the person who has the best ability to help. If it is a marriage or family issue, you might want to consider a registered Marriage and Family Therapist. We are trained in looking at the dynamics of relationships.

What do Marriage and Family Therapists do?
Mostly, we help you view the current situation in a new way. Providing a different perspective on the situation is the first step in change. We also help to increase the level of communication so that the thoughts and feelings that have previously been unspoken are brought out into the open. We also work towards lowering the tension level so that old issues actually get resolved.

What kind of questions should I ask?
You are looking for two things: professional competence and their personal style. For competence issues you will want to know what professional training they have had and what professional associations they belong to and if they are registered in their profession. Marriage and Family Therapists must have at least a Masters degree in relationship counselling and will have been supervised for a minimum of' I000 client hours before they can be registered. The Ontario Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (I -800-267-2638) can verify whether or not a therapist is a registered Marriage and Family Therapist and they can give you a list of registered therapists in your area. In Ontario, The Board of Examiners in Sex Therapy and Counselling in Ontario (BESTCO 416-204-0336) can verify whether or not the person is a registered Sex Therapist in Ontario OHIP does not cover the cost of therapy (unless the therapy is provided by a physician). Some employee benefits plans will cover all or a portion of the cost of therapy.

How long do I have to wait to get an appointment?
Usually you will be seen within two weeks. It depends on how flexible you can be. Often couples are afraid to admit that there is a problem and they wait too long. The distancing increases, things are said and done which are hard to take back. The right time to start improving the relationship is now!

Contact us at (613) 523-6400 so that we may begin to
Discover Solutions Together